Monday, 26 June 2017

The Car Boot Sale




We have been going to car boot sales for years this is our preferred way to shop.

If you love a bargain and are on a budget then this is the place to go. Many people have never been to one and just associate them with being a load of old tat.  Yes you do find loads of tat, but there are treasures to be found as well.


The car boot sales here are huge, it takes us a couple of hours or more to look around, we go around several times as some people are unpacking still. We go prepared we have a shopping trolley each, which saves having to struggle with bags and keep running back to the car every five minutes, we also make sure we have some bottled water, also we have some carrier bags in the bottom of the trolley for wrapping anything breakable, my husband also carries a tape measure so if there is something we have been looking for we can check it is the right size.




So what can you expect to find at a car boot sale - the simple answer is everything.

For new parents you can find baby clothes, cots, prams, buggies, sterilisers etc.

Also for children, shoes, clothes, books and toys.

If you are looking to kit out a first time home, you can find kitchenware, small appliances, bedding, curtains, pictures, furniture and much more.

Ideal for uni students living in to set themselves up.

For the DIY enthusiast or man about the house there is always a good range of tools, paints etc - my husband always finds something useful for his shed.

Fruit and Veg can be bought very cheaply.

I paid just £2.00 for 24 apricots and 12 satsumas.




Gardeners can pick up tools, plants, ornaments

These two stone angels cost us only £28 in total, at the garden centre they would have probably charged around £60 each.




You will find plenty of cheap indoor entertainment, like books, cd's, dvd's and games.

You can revamp your wardrobe for next to nothing.

Also if you have a good eye you can look for items to resell.

There are lots of new items to be found which are ideal to give as gifts.


There is something for everyone, and you can save so much money.


A few of my purchases from the last few weeks.

Brand new Marks & Spencers sandals £2.00




New slippers £2.00



New oven gloves £2.00




Yesterday we bought nine plants for just £7.00



Cosmos were £2.00 for any three.

Fuschia also £2.00 for any three.


Then there was a section for any 3 for £3.00





I love this pot from "Past Times" £4.00




I found a stratton sweet pea design compact in immaculate condition for £5.00, I looked on the famous auction site to see how much it would be worth but couldn't find it, so I am hoping it is a rarer one, I could sell it but I love compacts, I once started collecting them then regrettably sold them. 



A make up mirror £5.00 it lights up and the other side is magnified.




Last week we had a bit of a sort out and went to sell on Saturday, and we were very pleased that we made £140.

We will try and do another one before the end of the season.

32 comments:

  1. I love a car boot sale. Unfortunately they are often set on a field or gravel area, which makes them a nightmare for getting round in a wheelchair, do enjoy a good poke around though. Very pretty sandals and what a bargain with the plants xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes I can see how it would cause problems for you. The sandals are very comfy I prefer wedges to heels these days. The plants were an excellent bye xx

      Delete
  2. Those at wonderful bargains, Marlene! I particularly like the Stratton compact. Not so sure about angels in my garden, though. The might keep Barry-the-dog (our younger son's dog, I might add!) under control, though, as he's a right little devil, ha ha! But if you can sell those garden ornaments, they would surely swell the coffers!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The compact is lovely Margaret, I can't part with the angels, even my husband likes them, I absolutely love angels, I have angels and cherub pictures in the bedroom it is just something I have always loved, I even have a giant one in the lounge.

      Delete
  3. Great finds - we love a good car boot.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, you just never know what your coming home with xx

      Delete
  4. I've never been to a real car boot sale, just the local ones that seem to be attached to other events, such as carnival day. I do have fond memories though, of much fun spent on Saturday mornings in America doing the weekly round of yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love a yard sale.

      Delete
    2. We go with our friends and their two littlies, and used to start out extra early with breakfast at Hardee's or similar, then start the driving around the neighbourhood looking out for signs. Sometimes they were advertised, sometimes you just fell upon them. Sometimes a whole street would have one, other times it was just one house or two on a block. It was great fun.

      Delete
    3. That really does sound such fun.

      Delete
  5. Your great bargains might just encourage me to take a look. The plants and fruit look excellent.
    Eloise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  6. I am an avid car boot sale fan, it is one of the things that I do miss living here. We plan to visit a couple when we visit our daughters later in the year. You certainly got some great buys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love car boots but wouldn't miss them if I lived in a lovely location like yourself, it is beautiful.

      Delete
  7. We don't have many boot sales here, the last couple we went to were not very good, so we have stopped going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends where you live I suppose.

      Delete
  8. I haven't been to a car boot sale since we lived in France...bargains there were amazing.
    Would you send me your address and I will send you some of the Craft gifts that I mentioned in my last post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know dealers often go on buying trips to France.
      Thankyou so very much, I have emailed you I hope​ it gets to you alright, once again thankyou.

      Delete
  9. Some super bargains, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your car boots sound great. We really need to start going further a field as the local ok be is rubbish. Love the compact too I always remember my mum using one and me struggling as s child to open the clasp on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes for an interesting day. I love compacts,I have put this one away, I might add to it if I find any more at the right price.

      Delete
  11. I just never seem to get round to going to the car boots these days. I used to love them.
    Fabulous finds as always. You have a great eye for a bargain-x-

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love car boot sales, the proper ones with lots of folk that are decluttering and selling off theirs and relatives things ... like we do. I don't like the ones that have turned into tatty looking markets with lots of traders selling plastic tat and just a few proper car-booters every now and then.

    We have been having a huge declutter of the house and turning all our unwanted and not needed things into good old fashioned hard cash. If's very therapeutic coming home with empty boxes and money instead of 'stuff'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car boots here do have traders but they are huge and there are lots of people selling off theirs and their families things, so it is worth going. As you say it is very therapeutic coming home with the empties and a wad of cash, I shall carry on with the declutter and hopefully we will have enough to do a few more and get some more cash.

      Delete
  13. We love a good car boot sale. On the way home from our holiday yesterday we called into one and came away with some real bargains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them to, yes I see you had some good bargains​ as well

      Delete
  14. you always find good things, wherever you are. The oven gloves are perfect for you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sadie, yes you know I love the birdies x

      Delete
  15. Smashing bargains Marlene, the sandals are lovely and I think the Past Times plant pot is great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Angie, I don't like high heeled shoes anymore, but I don't mind wedges. The pot is lovely isn't it x

      Delete